Thursday, March 8, 2007

Diet and Daytime TV

I've never been one to be choosy about what I eat. Granted, I try to eat healthy enough that I wont be going down with all the health problems associated with things like binge-eating and high cholestoral. Even so, though, I don't think I really have it in me to ever give up on meat. I'm a meat & potatoes sort of girl, you know?

I need a burger every now and then, and sometimes even something like a steak. I enjoy salads, and I enjoy fruit, but I can't live off of those. I need me my chicken, my turkey and my fish. A vegetarian diet, however healthy, just isn't for me. Never has been.

Believe me, I give credit to those that manage it- it takes a lot more drive and will-power to give up on half of what makes up the diet of most everybody else. Making the choice to give up meat is no doubt a choice that will let them live longer than I will. Even knowing that, though, I don't think I could just change my entire diet around for a few extra years. I'm comfortable with my eating habits (well okay, I could definitely eat healthier, even sticking with my omnivorous diet), and when you find something that works for you, why change it?

There are plenty of arguments in favor of a vegetarian diet (things like being nice to nonhuman animals, for instance), but again, as much as I love animals, I don't think I could just not consume them anymore. That kind of decision would be hard to do. Habits are hard to break, and humans are nothing if not creatures of habit. How else to explain daytime television? It's always the same exact plot, but people keep tuning in. Not because it's good (because, really, it's not), but because they tuned in yesterday, and are compelled to continue to tune in every day, just to find out what happens, next.

2 comments:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

I appreciate your honesty. It is difficult to changes one's habits (especially in light of tradition, social and familial expectations, and vegetarianism's continuing unpopularity in the US).

But an addiction to daytime TV hardly resembles the consumption of nonhumans. Only in the latter case are 15,000,000,000 (emotionally and cognitively rich) lives (in the US alone) at stake each year. Chicken, bacon, and hamburger can be tasty, no doubt; but so are unchicken nuggets, fakin-bakin strips, and veggie burgers. Few vegetarians live on fruits and veggies alone.

Ally_Rae said...

Fair enough