Thursday, January 25, 2007

To Start with

I've never imagined myself as any sort of philosopher; I suppose you could say I'll admit to being a thinker, but nothing so very labeled as "philosopher". Not more than any other person, in any case.

Be that as it may, my decision to take a philosophy course stemmed directly from a simple desire to learn just what is what. The moral dilemma is an ageless thing; it seems that howsoever long there has been man (humans, that is), there has always been a question of what is right, what is wrong, and just what values do we all share in common that go beyond what is relative to our own experience..and what's simply inherent to us as a species?

Philosophy does nothing if not raise more questions, even as it might help to answer some. Maybe. Maybe not. The point is, it makes one think. A good thing, really, when the world seems to spend so very much time doing nothing of the sort. Hopefully, as I read the class texts, and converse with the other students in my class, I'll get a greater understanding of just how huge the entire debate really is.

1 comment:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Welcome to the discipline. Philosophy is a kind of second-order thinking ("thinking about thinking"), so, to the extent that you are a thinker (as you certainly are) and some of the things you think about are your (or others') thoughts (as they certainly will be), you are a philosopher.